A select list is a field type that allows users to select one or more options. You can choose to create a single select list (users can only select one option from the field) or a multi-select list (users can select multiple options from the field). Single select lists with five options or fewer can also be configured to display trending data when added to a standard form on an object type.
|There is a maximum of 1,000 options allowed per select list field. |
By default, both single and multi-select lists appear on forms as dropdown menus. Admins can configure single select lists to appear as a group of buttons, provided the list has five options or fewer. To enable this option, add the select list to the form canvas, click the icon in the top-right corner of the field to open the Edit Component Display window, then select Toggle Button Group in the Format section.
This field type can also be used in formulas, provided the options in the select list contain a numeric value (see step 12 below).
To create a new select list:
- Click theicon in the top bar > Fields in the Data Model section.
- Click Create Field.
- Hover your cursor over the Select List field type, then click Create Field.
- Enter a name for the field as it will appear on an object type in Field Name.
- Optional: If needed, provide additional information or instructions on completing the field in the Long Name section, which can be displayed on configurable forms.
- Select either Single or Multi from the Selection Type dropdown menu. A single select list means the user can only select one option, while a multi select list allows the user to choose more than one option.
- Ensure the Add Options tab has been selected.
- Enter the options that will appear in the dropdown menu. There is a maximum of 1,000 options per field. Each option must be a maximum of 300 characters and be separated by a line break by pressing Enter on your keyboard.
Avoid putting commas within the field options. The system could mistake the comma as a break before a new option.
- Click the Add Options button. This will automatically select the Current Options tab.
- Click the icon next to an option to view the settings for an option.
- Enter an alternate name for the option in the Name field, if needed.
- If this single select list is to be used in a formula, enter a number for the option in the Value field. Repeat this step for each option, noting that multi-select fields cannot be used in formulas.
A formula will display an Invalid Result error if it attempts to pull data from a select list option that does not have a value. To avoid this, ensure a numeric value is applied to all select list options.
- Click the Color dropdown menu to reveal the color picker. You can either click a color to select it or type a hex color into this field. This color will appear next to the options in the select list dropdown menu.
- Select the Default Option checkbox if you want the option to be automatically selected in the list when it appears on the object type. If changing the default option on a select list previously saved on one or more objects, note that:
- If the select list on the object shows a value (option), the value will not be updated to reflect the new default.
- If the select list on an object shows the previous default value (option), the previous default will not be updated to reflect the new default.
- If the select list on an object does not show a value (option), default or otherwise, it will be updated to reflect the new default.
- Click the icon to close the settings for that option.
- Repeat steps 9-14 to continue editing the options as needed.
- To rearrange the order the options will appear on the select list, click and drag the icon next to an option.
- To delete an option, click the icon.
- Use the Preview section to confirm the field is correct.
- Click Create.