The Visibility settings in the Edit Form Section give administrators the option of always displaying a section and its elements on a standard form or only displaying the section once specific formula values (ranges) or select list options are selected in another section on the form. For example, when creating a new incident object, the Witness Details section is hidden from the form unless the end-user chooses Yes from the Witnesses? dropdown menu.
To specify which formula values or select list options must be selected to display a certain section, at least one rule must be created, where you can choose a select list and/or formula, then select the required options or values. If multiple values or options are selected for a single formula or select list, any one of those values or options can be selected by a user to reveal the section (e.g. selecting Moderate OR Severe on the Incident Severity select list will successfully display the form).
When creating sections with controlled visibility, note that:
- It's possible to configure cascading visibility by configuring additional sections to be displayed only when specific values or options are selected within another previously hidden section. For example, if a user chooses Yes from the Employee? select list in previously hidden Witness Details section, the Employee Details section will be displayed.
- Multiple rules can be added to a single section, however, doing so will create AND criteria. This means that at least one value or option must be selected from every rule to display the section.
- Adding formulas without ranges to a rule or adding formulas to rules on forms used to create new objects will prevent the section from being successfully displayed even when the criteria have been met.
- Administrators should review the width and layout of all sections on the form to ensure the hidden section displays correctly when visible.
- Selecting multiple options or values creates OR criteria. For example, if a user chooses Theft, Assault, OR Vandalism from the Incident Type select list, the Illegal Acts section will display.
To control a section's visibility:
- Create a new form or open an existing form by clickingicon in the top bar > Configurable Forms in the Views section, then selecting a form.
- Click + Section on the form canvas.
- Click the icon in the top-right corner to display the Edit Form Section screen.
- Select the Only If in the Visibility section. By default, Always is selected. If you want this section to be visible at all times, leave Always selected.
- Click + Add Rules.
- Choose a select list or formula with ranges from the Available Components dropdown menu.
Only formulas with ranges should be selected.
- Choose one or more select list options or formula ranges from the Options and Values dropdown menu. Selecting multiple options or values creates OR criteria. For example, if a user chooses Theft, Assault, OR Vandalism from the Incident Type select list, the Illegal Acts section will display.
- Click the icon beside the rule to save it.
- Optional: Click + Add Rules to create an additional rule, then repeat steps 6-8 above.
Creating additional rules will create AND criteria. This means that at least one range or option must be selected from every rule in order to display the section.
- Click Done to save the visibility settings.
- To modify a rule, it must first be deleted by clicking the icon, then recreating it.