The Visibility settings in the Edit Form Section give administrators the option of always displaying a section and its elements on a standard form or only displaying the section once specific formula values (ranges) or select list options are selected in another section on the form. For example, when creating a new incident object, the Witness Details section is hidden from the form unless the end user chooses Yes from the Witnesses? dropdown menu.
To specify which formula values or select list options must be selected to display a certain section, at least one rule must be created, where you can choose a select list and/or formula, then select the required options or values. If multiple values or options are selected for a single formula or select list, any one of those values or options can be selected by a user to reveal the section (e.g. selecting Moderate OR Severe on the Incident Severity select list will successfully display the form).
When creating sections with controlled visibility, note that:
- It's possible to configure cascading visibility by configuring additional sections to be displayed only when specific values or options are selected within another previously hidden section. For example, if a user chooses Yes from the Employee? select list in previously hidden Witness Details section, the Employee Details section will be displayed.
- Multiple rules can be added to a single section, however, doing so will create AND criteria. This means that at least one value or option must be selected from every rule to display the section.
- Adding formulas without ranges to a rule or adding formulas to rules on forms used to create new objects will prevent the section from being successfully displayed even when the criteria has been met.
- Administrators should review the width and layout of all sections on the form to ensure the hidden section displays correctly when visible.
- Selecting multiple options or values creates OR criteria. For example, if a user chooses Theft, Assault, OR Vandalism from the Incident Type select list, the Illegal Acts section will display.
To control a section's visibility:
- Create a new form or open an existing form by clickingicon in the top bar >Configurable Forms in the Views section, then selecting a form.
- Click + Section on the form canvas.
- Click the icon in the top-right corner to display the Edit Form Section screen.
- Select the Only If in the Visibility section. By default, Always is selected. If you want this section to be visible at all times, leave Always selected.
- Click + Add Rules.
- Choose a select list or formula with ranges from the Available Components dropdown menu.
Only formulas with ranges should be selected.
- Choose one or more select list options or formula ranges from the Options and Values dropdown menu. Selecting multiple options or values creates OR criteria. For example, if a user chooses Theft, Assault, OR Vandalism from the Incident Type select list, the Illegal Acts section will display.
- Click the icon beside the rule to save it.
- Optional: Click +Add Rules to create an additional rule, then repeat steps 6-8 above.
Creating additional rules will create AND criteria. This means that at least one range or option must be selected from every rule in order to display the section.
- Click Done to save the visibility settings.
- To modify a rule, it must first be deleted by clicking the icon, then recreating it.